What is Wood Badge?
Wood Badge is the premiere adult leadership development course offered by the BSA. The ultimate purpose of Wood Badge is to help adult leaders deliver the highest quality Scouting program to young people to help them achieve their fullest potential.
Who may attend?
Wood Badge is open to registered volunteers and professionals in Cub Scouting, Scouts BSA, and Venturing. It focuses not on Scouting skills, but on leadership skills, taught in Scouting settings, that are transferable to every aspect of your life.
How is the course conducted?
Wood Badge is taught in two phases: the practical phase, consisting of one 3-day weekend and a 2 day weeeknd at camp, and the applicaiton phase or "ticket". The ticket is a contract with five goals you promise to complete over an 18-month period, using the leadership skills you've learned during the two course weekends.
When is the course being held this year?
There are two 3-day weekends: the first weekend is August 21-23, 2020 (Friday - Sunday) and the second weekend is September 26-27, 2020 (Saturday - Sunday)
You want me to volunteer for more work?
No! The great thing about your Wood Badge Ticket is it centers around the Scouting job you're already doing. So, you're not committing to doing another job...just learning to do your job better
I'm convinced! What else do I need to know?
- Living arrangements for the first weekend will be provided. (Bring your own bedding)
- On second weekend, personal tents and patrol cooking will be required. (Stoves will be provided.) If you do not have a tent, let us know. We will help find one to borrow!
- There are scholarships available! Get in touch with your district leadership to find out more on how to apply.
Any additional requirements?
Just a few, we've listed them below!
- You need to be a currently registered adult member. Including unit or district leaders, committee members, or merit badge counselors.
- You need to be fully trained in your primary registered position before the first weekend.
- You will need to bring a completed BSA medical form. (Parts A,B, & C), current through all course dates.
- You will need a complete BSA uniform.
I'm ready to sign up! Where do I go?
We've made it easy, just click the blue button below and pack your bags, you're headed to Gilwell!
2020 Wood Badge Reunion
Join us for the 2019 Wood Badge Reunion! We will have activities all through the day and a brief program followed by a live auction!
Bring a buddy! This event is open to anyone who might be interested in taking the course this fall or in the future.
If you have any Wood Badge or Scouting items you would care to donate to the auction, they can be dropped off at Flag Plaza in care of Charlie Huse or contact Dave Anderson for pick up any time before August 1st.